Monday, February 2, 2009

Day 33 FTJ Bootcamp Activity

Can you tell I'm playing catch up? Copied!

Identify Time Wasters

A big part in reclaiming the life you were meant to live is to eliminate things that are wasteful. In prior steps we’ve already focused on eliminating wasteful spending. We’ve also focused on decluttering to eliminate unused and irrelevant things from your home. In doing so, you’re able to use your money and your space more efficiently. But we haven’t yet focused on time – another great resource that is often wasted.

The way we view time is a lot like how we view money: there’s never enough. But yet when we really sit back and analyze how we’re spending it, we’re almost always guilty of being wasteful in one way or another. It’s like money: those who get the most out their time are the ones who see its value.

Don’t let inefficient use of time get in the way of a more meaningful life. The less time you waste the more time you’ll have to spend on things that nurture you: your friends, family, and hobbies.

What are some of your biggest time wasters?

• Computer
Set limits on your computer time. Don’t constantly check your e-mail. Instead, pick one or two times during the day to check it and respond back. Spam can also be a huge time hog. Use a spam filter or keep an alternate e-mail account for ordering online and other commercial purposes. Keep surfing at a minimum. Set a timer when you do surf to limit it to a certain amount.

• Turn off the TV
Keep the TV turned off if you’re not watching it in order to avoid being sucked in. Use a digital recording service (such as TiVo) that will enable you to skip through commercials. Not only will you eliminate channel surfing, you can watch an hour-long show in 40 minutes or a half-hour show in 20.

• Let the Answering Machine Pick Up
If you have an answering machine, let it pick up. Set a designated time to return phone calls. Respond by e-mail if you can to save even more time. Using a caller ID service can help you avoid taking calls from telemarketers.

• Organize Errand Running
Organize errands and limit shopping to 1-2 times per week. Plan your family’s meals ahead of time and make sure you have the ingredients on hand avoiding unnecessary trips to the store. Anticipate future needs such as clothing, birthday cards and gifts as well.

• Shop Online
Not only can shopping online help you save money on gas, it prevents unnecessary wear and tear on your car. Many grocery stores are recognizing the time demands of families today and are offering delivery service for your grocery order.

Assignment: For the next few days, track of the things you do on a daily basis that you would consider time wasters. Then, come up with a plan to eliminate excess time spent on them.

* I really have a computer problem. Its pretty sad. And if its not the computer, its my xbox...that thing calls my name!
*I do have a DVR, but somethings I gotta watch when they are actually on! Sometimes I will wait 5-10 minutes so I can fast forward though most of the commercials.
*Thank goodness for Cell phones! My phone does EVERYTHING...email, chat, IM, text(of course), internet
*I usually run errands when I do my grocery shopping. I live 20 minutes away from town. Blah.
*I wish I could get delivered my groceries...sometimes. I enjoy getting out of the house for grocery shopping LOL Most everything else comes from online though. I live in a tiny town...without a mall.

No comments: